Saturday, September 20, 2008

Entao... visiting home was another strange experience. Once again I resumed the role of a bored tourist. All my pre-leaving Estonia friends where naturally busy with their own little lives as I have been busy with mine for the last 5 years. Well I guess all weird feelings aside it was nice to be lazy for a change, I mean Lazy with a capital “L”. Naturally the 10 days I had escaped and pretty soon I returned to Denmark – cold, windy, unpleasant Denmark. To earn the missing money for my travel costs I needed to work in construction site for a week (felt more like a month). At the same time our (builders) existence in the college was almost completely ignored so after a few days I ignored them with an equal degree.
Besides being exhausted to the bone because of building I still faced the packing up my room (3 years or belongings) during late nights. And then the night before departure was suddenly there. It consisted of running up and down the college, cleaning my room, packing my bags, fixing my laptop….basically busy as hell. I guess I succeeded to sleep and hour or 2. From then on long 2 days in train and planes. There were actually not many problems with the travel at all. Only that it was excruciatingly long and boring for one to travel alone.
I reached Luanda in the wee morning hours…completely exhausted and deprived of sleep. I was in fact too tired to even be much exited that I had arrived. The waiting through the immigration took naturally forever (at least an hour or 2). The baggage on the other hand was ready for picking up as soon as immigration check up was over. The driver was already waiting in front of the airport with a sign for me. So we left immediately. After an hour drive through the empty yet dusty early morning streets of Luanda we arrived at the head quarters of the organization just an hour before breakfast. There was no point to go to bed any more so I stuck around.
Soon my friends, who had arrived the night before came to breakfast and we could share the first impressions. From there on the day was quite relaxed. We went kayaking and later walked to the nearby village to buy some soda and cookies. Although I managed to have a nap for an hour in the afternoon I was still quite tired of the long journey. So soon after dinner I said my goodbyes and headed to bed.
Wake-up call 3am to leave for the airport in Luanda to fly to the central plateau of Angola, to my final destination Huambo.
It was definitely an experience to return to Huambo. It looked like the same place I was last time around but at a closer look a lot of changes had taken place. From new roads to renewed parks. It felt like in a dream where the place looks familiar but the connection is somehow missing.
Arrival in the school was quiet with happy hellos. The best hello was from my old students. It was great to see them relaxed in the second year. The new beginners of the first year were just arriving. A week later they are still the shy and obedient 1st year-ers.
I jumped right into work and action from the second day on without pausing much. I prepared my first course and was ready to go until… I was baptized by malaria as welcome back present.
So for the past few days I have been staring at the ceiling in my room or sleeping or taking the endless amount of medication I was prescribed.
Now I finally feel a bit more like alive again although appetite has not yet returned mmm... So the next plan is to organise all the classes to give in EPF and there are many :) English for the old team and cvourses about the world for the new team. Energy resources at this moment still too low

No comments: