Friday, August 01, 2008

The first time I went to Angola - this rough diamond - was in August 2007- February 2008. I can simply say this amazing land and its people became part of me. I was working as a teacher in EPF (Escola de Professores do Futuro) teacher training college. It was an experience of a lifetime. I had circa 100 students for half a year.
So why do I call this country a rough diamond. It is all it represents to me with its' mountainous landscape, its' war torn appearance, its' loving but at the same time a little aggressive culture and its African soft Portuguese.

The 6 months there felt like a lifetime that passed by. I experienced happiness there - true happiness. I made friends to last forever and I lost dear friends as well. There was times I was in euphoria and times when I was devastated of extreme sorrow of loss.

It changed something in my core, something substantial. I fell in love deeply and thoroughly with this diamond. Now after half a year in Europe I am still dreaming of my days in Angola. I am still feeling the joys and sorrows that got rooted so deep in my very existence, so much that I have decided to return for another half a year period.

To my pleasant surprise I have found out that my working visa I applied for last year and never got is ready and I have already got it in my passport. I managed after hours of searching to get flight tickets. I am flying in September 9 to from Copenhagen to Frankfurt and from there to Luanda, the capital.

I am exited and scared at the same time. Although I love the country, it is still rough and full of all sorts of surprises.

Today I actually made a first step of preparations. I went and bought a mosquito net - very nice one that is washable and extends to all sorts of angles. Then I spent an hour looking for some company or organization that could donate a projector or two for the school. It would make the teaching so much livelier when it is possible to show films and documentaries to the students.


In my head I am already forming courses to give and actions to take with the students. I am indeed glad to see all my students again and am actually wondering how many is left; specially the female students, since it is really so few of them and the chances of them dropping out are higher.

Before flying out I will visit my family in Estonia for 10 days to relax ( I am not sure how much this will succeed) and to enjoy time with family and friends.

No comments: